HELP! I have noticed lately on a couple of other blogs many of you are dealing with sleep issues with your kids and now they have hit our house. I asked my Moms Group this morning and got a few ideas to try and now I am asking for more. Here is what we have...
Jack - Sleep Problem #1 -Probably the easiest to solve. I just need to commit to it. He goes to bed easily. BUT, he wakes up at about 12:00 and will scream for an hour or until I come to get him. If I put him our bed he wakes up easily and wants to nurse all night. So I know it is time to stop going to get him. But, I haven't commited to letting him scream for several nights yet.
Sleep Problem #2 - He doesn't nap much! He will take about 1 nap a day for about an hour and that is it. If he does take a 2 nd nap it is only for 15-20 min. This makes for a very cranky baby!
Kaden - Sleep Problem #1- He is trying to give up his nap but he still needs one. I am trying to find a way to have a required quiet time and hopefully he will fall asleep. Moms of preschool age children what do you do? (Jenny - You are the one who comes to mind. What have you done with Brayden?)
Sleep Problem #2- We put him to bed at night between 8:00 & 8:30 but he won't go to sleep for like an hour or two. What is he doing? Reading books and playing with his toys. This used to be fine with me but that was when he played/read for 15 - 20 min. then fell asleep. This puts him actually going to sleep around 10:00! I am sorry but that is way too late for an almost 3 year old. Especially the days he doesn't have a nap! And it is way to late for his mom & dad who do like to have some time together Kid free! He has also started coming out of his room for a lot of different reasons (drink, scared, etc.) driving us nuts!
Here is my list of things to try:
1) Take all of the toys out of his room. I don't know where they will go but put them somewhere else. Leave the books. That way when it's bedtime there won't be so many distractions.
2) Set up a token economy (theres a word for my teacher friends!). A really good complete one. With a catalog of prizes, ice cream outings, playtime with mom & dad, and small trips. Maybe I could use this to change some other behaviors too? Any of you who have done something simiar what kind of token worked well with a 3 year old?
This is just so frustrating & exhausting. And yes we do have a set schedule, we do the same bedtime routine, we don't do anything too stimulating before rest time. Is there anything else I am missing?
Monday, May 14, 2007
Calling All Sleep Experts
Posted by Kelli at 11:50 AM
Subscribe to:
Post Comments (Atom)

1 comments:
Kelli-
It sounds like you're doing all the right things...sleep issues are so hard! If only I had a magic sleeping wand!
I don't know what to tell you about Kaden although taking out the stimulating things seems like a good idea. Do you think music would help? Maybe he needs less light in his room so he can't really read or maybe just one book or one stuffed animal to sleep with. I've also heard people suggesting wearing the kids down in the afternoon so they are nice and tired for bedtime.
Jack-not sure about this either but I can share the frustration about napping! I've been doing a lot of reading lately and like what Dr. Sears has to say about sleep, although I'm not sure I'm willing to do everything he suggests. One thing I did see was a video on babycenter on sleeping using Dr. Sears' method for a 5-month old. I think this might work for you. I'll try to get you more info on where to find it.
Otherwise-keep trying and good luck!
Post a Comment