Thursday, October 9, 2008

Our Little Pumpkin



Kyler went to the ped. for the first time on Thursday. He is doing great. He weighed in at 9 lbs. 7 oz. The dr. said they like to see them regain their birth weight (8lbs 2 oz) by the 2 week mark. Well, as he put it at 3 weeks Kyler destroyed that mark. So he is gaining plenty of weight. I told Tim before we left the hospital Kyler seemed a lot hungrier then our first 2. Apparently I was right.
My favorite part of the appointment was when the dr. started asking questions. I was prepared for the first several. How often does he eat?, Does he stop crying when you pick him up?, etc.
The next question was: Has he had any major illnesses or injuries? I said "No" Then I started thinking. Does he not think if he had a major illness or injury I wouldn't have called. I should have said Oh, he had chicken pox last week but I didn't think it was a big deal. Seriously Dr. I am not stupid.
The next question was: Are people nice to him? My response was "To Kyler?" I wondered at this point if we were still talking about my newborn. I wanted to say: No people are really mean to him. The dr. then clarified: Does he get pulled on a little, or thunked on the head, or poked in the eye? I said yes, he does, after all, have two older brothers, but I wouldn't say people are mean to him. He wrote in his file. So, if there was a box to check for Are people nice to him. I am pretty sure it says NO.
The last question: Have you avoided crowds? (Hmm- define crowds- the mall, the pumpkin patch, the zoo, Thomas, church, preschool drop off) I thought it was just easier to say yes. The dr. then said "I guess you have a crowd at home". Okay if 5 is a crowd - I am glad I didn't eleborate on everywhere Kyler has been.
I don't know about this dr. We will have to see how future appointments go. Which by the way at the next appointment all 3 boys get shots. I am dreading it already.

2 comments:

CJ said...

Good Grief! You should have told the Dr. that you put him in the dog kennel to keep him safe so people can't be mean to him. It would be one thing for him to ask all that stuff if Kyler was bruised up or something but clearly he is happy and healthy and cute as can be.

Lori said...

Kelli - I laughed out loud reading this. What the doctor said and your comments - hilarious. However, I'm wondering if this doctor has any chidren of his own. On the other hand, maybe your doctor is just very concerned with baby's self esteem and not wanting anyone to be mean to them too early. ;) If you want my honest opinion, sounds like abuse screening. He's probably just trying to do his job (maybe doesn't have kids) and might be okay afterall. Thorough doctors are important. Keep us posted!