Wednesday, March 24, 2010

The coupon game

So, I have been fascinated by Couponing ever since I saw the coupon mom on Oprah a couple of years ago. I have tried it off and on and it just seems like a lot of work to save a couple dollars. My friends have from time to time posted all the amazing deals they put together and I just don't get how they do it. I get overwhelmed juggling my coupons, my kids, and trying to concentrate in the store. So, after reading this post from my friend Kristy I was motivated to try it again. So, this was my attempt last night:


I bought all of this for $36.53. And saved $44.77 (57%). Okay, so it isn't the most amazing story of savings but it is the best I have ever done and being that I saved more then I spent, I will take it. 

Here is how it worked:

11 cans of Tomatoes at .40 a can (store promotion)

5 Lunchables at 1.00 ea. plus I had a 1.00 off coupon so those ended up .80 ea.

Kellogg's Mini Wheats were on sale for $2.27 plus I had a 2 coupons for $1.00 off 2 boxes. So I bought 4 boxes at 1.77 a box.

2 bags of frozen vegetables at 1.68 ea. (I could have done better here)

2 pork tenderloins normally 9.00 a piece. The store had buy one get one free. I also had a $1 off  coupon. So they were $4 ea.

2 pkg. hot dogs. on sale for $1.50ea. plus there was a promotion going on that got me another .50 off each one. So they were $1. ea.

2 apples - free - coupon for $1 off fresh fruit when you buy Kelloggs cereal

Milk - $1.99 because I had a coupon for $1 off milk when you buy Kellogg's cereal. 
(This is from memory so I hope I remembered everything right - or close)
 
At least I saved enough to buy: 

Like I said before - this was a good start for me. I hope to have more amazing savings in the future. 
 
Sorry the pics are horrible. Taken with my iphone - pretty bad quality even for it.


4 comments:

Lori said...

Good luck to you on the couponing thing. I understand about having a tough time juggling it all. I tried it for a few months but it totally stressed me out and even gave me anxiety! I felt like I couldn't shop at all unless I had everything together and planned. I can definitely see how it can be a great tool though for people who are better at handling than I was. :) Have fun with it!

The McDowells said...

Great job Kelli, every little bit helps!

I just saw your comment about the 100 lessons book, and wanted to let you know that I have heard good things
about books "Ordinary Parents guide to teaching your child to read" and another called "phonics pathways" if 100 lessons isn't working for you guys. Depending on what lesson you are on, I know 100 lessons can drag on too. It was well past lesson 50 when the lightbulb seemed to go on for Macy and she seemed to "get it".

Heather said...

Do you still have my couponing sites I use. They help a ton. Ill be in town tomorrow and through the weekend. See you soon!

Kristy said...

Good job Kelli! When I started out, my savings was 50%-60%. Now I am almost always above 80% and a lot of times in the 90%. I took a couponing class which was helpful. If you have any questions, I might be able to help you.